Walter Wanderley — Rain Forest

I have several Walter Wanderley records, and they’re all fantastic.  This was the most popular.  You may have heard the opening track “Summer Samba” without even knowing it.  I hear it occasionally on TV and commercials, and it’s often used as background/bumper music on NPR’s This American Life.  It went to #26 as a single in 1966.

After doing the transfer and taking the pic I realized that I had a very clean mono copy, but this stereo copy is nice too with some very light surface noise.  (Details: Verve V6-8658 stereo)

Walter Wanderley — Summer Samba

This entry was posted in Records and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Walter Wanderley — Rain Forest

1. dottorjazz says:

as you’ve seen, I like to comment on music I know or like.
    I’m a little bit surprised in your praise for this musician.
    once you have entered the golden gates of Jazz, I think you’d have some difficulties in spending time with
    this TV easy listening.
    Try, for example, Jimmy Smith Plays fats Waller and you’ll know what I mean.

• vinyltim says:

To me it’s not the same thing artistically at all. I love campy 60’s instrumental/TV theme/easy listening music–it’s fun and lot of it sounds great and has good players. I enjoy Walter’s records because I like the pop/latin thing of that era and organ based music….

I know Jimmy Smith’s records well and that is whole different animal. I have a many of his titles, but not the Fats Waller. I’m a big jazz and funk organ fan–Jimmy, John Patton, Larry Young, Don Patterson, Leon Spencer, Joey D, Larry Goldings….I’m chipping away at those classic LP’s too! Would like to get some of the Freddie Roach and Baby Face Willette Blue Notes, but no luck yet. That has very little to do with the campy/easy stuff.

• dottorjazz says:

some more years in that different animal jungle and you won’t go back to the courtyard anymore.
        jungle music will get rid of most music you liked before getting real chills.
        and I’m the first: very few of what I liked before, is still in my heart.
        but I’m happier now.
        maybe you only need to grow older….take your time.

• vinyltim says:

Probably so, but I have varied tastes. In fact, record collecting has opened that all up. I’ve been listening more and to more new (to me) music than I have in years. Over time that may get more specific into just the stuff I enjoy the most.

2. dottorjazz says:

right: I started, as a teenager, from Beatles, Stones, Animals, Hendrix, Genesis, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Led Zeppelin but, when I got in touch with Jazz, I stopped with rock.
    I am a very good rock connoisseur till 1971, then my interest moved away.
    in the simple word Jazz, you’ve so many different genres and interesting musicians that barely one will succeed in discovering them all.
    it’s the path that LC is following now, exactly as me some decades ago.
    I used to buy hundreds of records when I was young, very few now, although now I could afford lot more.
    with age I go back to a certain musician, try to listen to everything can be of interest, search and buy what I think is worth.
    unfortunally my interests are never under several hundreds bucks.

• vinyltim says:

I’m sure your collection is exceptional. Sounds like you have refined it to the titles you get the most enjoyment out of.

I listen to and enjoy all sorts of stuff, but I think I like old jazz and blues records because it’s art to me. It’s interesting to have the “genuine original art”, with the proper artwork, good sonics etc…
      Of course all that is tied into “collectibles” as well. Luckily there other formats (CD, MP3, streaming) to enjoy the music that doesn’t cost a ton of money or get into the “collector-y” stuff, which is not for everybody. In addition to the music, I do enjoy the research, history, and collectible parts of it, and like learning about it all.

3. dottorjazz says:

all records I have, I love and listen to.
    good music is like a nice woman: don’t limit to look at her, touch her, let her come out of the grooves, better from an original vinyl. Unlike women, older the record you keep in your hands, greater the pleasure.
    sorry, women: aging is not so nice with you as with records.